Years ago I had asked my mother-in-law, Joyce Wilcox Palmer, if she had any old photo's that we could make copies from. She said that there were no photos.
I had asked if she had tried to contact other family members, to see if they had any Old Photo's. She said that they never took picture back then. Ok! I decided to let it go for now, and not bug her anymore.
This last couple of years I have been working on Milo's fathers side of the Family, the Palmer's and Heaton's from Alton, Orderville and Kanab and Moccasin, Arizona.
I was able to copies of some Photo's from Milo's Aunt Roxie, Jonathan Palmer's sister, before she died, last year.
I would love to work on Milo's Mother's side of the Family. I was really thrilled to run onto Jodi Gooch on www.findagrave.com. She is Milo's Mom's First Cousin. Cleon's youngest brothers Daughter. When I opened my email and saw what Jodi sent to me, all those nice Photo's of Milo's ancesters, Joyce's father and family. I was so excited. I was so excited for my kids and Milo. I was so excited, that I called my mother-in-law up on the phone, right away, before I even downloaded all the photo's to my Computer. I read off all the photo descriptions to her. She was so excited. I told her that I would email them to thank her! ! !
A (thank you) doesn't seem enough for the effort that Jodi went through scanning and loading them onto each email and sending them to me.
I will have to wait for Milo, to get home from driving. He is a Truck Driver. I called him and told him about Jodi and the photo's.
He was so surprised to know that there was Older Photo's out there that we didn't have. I am now so glad that I believe that Heavenly Father has inspired me to keep working on this website so that I can happen on to some of these distant relatives of Milo's on www.findagrave.com.
Milo suggested that we give you a copy of Cleon's Video History. I will leave that up to Him. It is a very nice Video. Years ago I took our Video Camera to one of Milo's Family Function at Milo's mother's house in West Valley. I intended to visit my Grandmother at my Aunts home and spend an hour and Video her.
My Grandmother was staying in Salt Lake at the time with one of her Daughters, Phyllis (Gale) Brockmeier, my mother's sister. Milo was being stubborn at the time and wouldn't let me stay and video my Grandmother, at my Aunts house. He wanted to get back to his family gathering. Milo is so one sided when it comes to his family. So all I got of her was less then 5 minutes of my Grandmother on Video Tape. I asked Milo if he would come back to get me later and he said; "No, he wouldn't do that."
Then Milo insisted on heading back to his Mother house right then. It was so embarrassing the way he was acting in front of my relatives. I have treated his family really nice and with all the respect in the world respect. Milo insisted so we headed back.I could argue back with him. I was so very sad. But what could I do. My Grandmother died two weeks later. I didn't get a chance again to get my Grandmother's History on video. It still hurts to this day to know that Milo has been one-sided with his family for a lot of years.
Anyway, we headed back to Milo's Mom's house. While everyone was visiting in the kitchen I felt left out and ignored. That day some of Milo's family treated me quite rudely. Cleon, Milo's Grandfather was the only one that had talked with me. He treated me like I was part of the Family. He showed me how he cared about me and my children. I really appreciated the way he treated me as one of the family. I learn to love Milo's Grandfather. So here came the Inspiration from Heavenly Father. "You need to video Milo's Granddad." It was so strong. I told myself; If I can't video my own Grandmother then I need to Video Tape Him. The thought came to me "This will be for my own Children". I wasn't doing this for Milo's family, it was for my own children. Cleon was sitting in the Living room by himself. while everyone elso was in the Kitchen . It was the perfect opportunity.
I had an empty video tape with only five minutes of my grandmother on it. So I grabed my video Camera. I asked Cleon, if I could
ask him a few question while videoing him. He gave me his permission "YES". I got the video camera, set-up in place in front of him and sat down and I started with questions of Cleon from his childhood.
Everyone else was in the kitchen at the time and it was quiet enough for me to videoing him, I thought. He was so good at answering my questions. He seemed to enjoy being videoed.
After a little while my husband, Milo came into the Living Room and saw what I was doing. He was quite surprised as to what I had started. The look on his face was something else. He came over and insisted on taking over what I was doing. I kinda was a little upset that he would push me out of the way. What could I have done. Milo had a tendency to be controlling at times. Like when he wouldn't let me video my Grandmother. He had to have his way like a spoiled child. I now can look back and see how this controlling Husband redirected my life in ways that haven't been very pleasant. I gave into his tantrums too often.
Anyway, after a little while, everyone else that was in the kitchen, started to mossy into the living-room.
The house got really quiet when they realized what Milo was Doing, videoing Granddad Wilcox. They all thought that it was Milo's idea and they did gave him the credit for it. I want them to look at Milo with favorable eyes. So I let them think it was all Milo's Idea. They all found themselves a seat and sat down quietly to listen to Granddad Cleon Wilcox tell his History. Every once in a while I would suggest a question or two. I had a set of questions already prepare for when I was going to use on my Grandmother. I felt like I was pushed to the side like I didn't know what I was doing and Milo let them do it. They didn't want me in the picture anymore. I felt like I was pushed out of the way for this interview. GrandDad saw what had happened and had not said a word. He didn't stick up for me. But yes I was just an in-law and that didn't matter. I was so glad though, that Cleon was so willing to continue with tell his life story. I stepped back and let Milo's family get involved. I said to myself,"Oh well". Milo's family needs to look up to Milo and praise him.
I felt bad that I couldn't get my own grandmother's history done, but it wasn't a total loss, at least something good came out of it. We now have Granddad Wilcox's History on Video. Years later Milo Aunts were sitting around a table at another Family Wilcox Reunion at Maxine's Cabin. That day was not a good day for me at the Reunion. I received quite a few slide remarks from Milo's Family. It was really hard take some of their comments. I heard them really bragging up Milo on how he video Granddad. I gues I lost it and it was upsetting to me and I was also upset with Milo at the time with the way his treatment of me during the Reunion and decided to say something to them who really start the videoing of Cleon. The look on their face was something else. You know I am not sure they believed me. A couple of years later, I got Milo to take our little Family over to visit with Granddad's at his home to do another video of him. I wanted him to talk about his Mission. Cleon went to the Samoan Islands on his Mission. It was my idea and pushing to get that accomplished.
It was a nice visit and we got Granddad to talk about Mission. By now Milo's family has got the message that they can use our Camera to video Granddad. when every they wanted. I really didn't want them to ware out my camera. Milo being very controlling he just took it. No-one bothered to ask me. I was the one who wanted the Camera, so that I could video our children. My Mother wore out her Cameron take Photo of he family and not her children. So we don't have very many Photo of me and my brothers and sister.
Milo let his family take our Camera to Farmington and had Granddad tell a history up there too. Milo's brothers had the money to buy a nice Camera. Why didn't they? They didn't like me to bring out my camera to take family Photo's, but they would borrow mine and ware out mine. Milo's family kept borrowing our video Camera for other things also. They were waring out my Camera. I was getting worried that my camera would brake and I wouldn't have a video camera to video tape my Children. They had more money then we did and I felt they didn't care. They could have gotten themselves their our Camera. They treat my Camera as though it was the Palmer Family Camera. I didn't let my own Brothers and sister borrow our Camera.
I want to make a copy for each of our children to be put into their own Genealogy books. Someday, I would like to ask Milo's family to have someone sit down and listen to his history and type it out onto paper. I know that will be a big task to take on. Someday, maybe!
Plus I volunteered to be in charge of a Palmer Reunion in July. I have two months left to plan it. This will be my first for a reunion on Milo's side of the Family,
for this Summer at my house. I grew up, with my Mother being the Family Genealogist for her Family and doing Gale and Smith reunions.
Everyone in my family has labeled me now, as the Family Genealogist. My sister developed Breast Cancer and doesn't feel she has the time to take on that task.
All I want to do, is to gather Family Histories and Photo's for my children's Genealogy books. I want my children to know their own ancestors on both sides of their families.
Plus I want to Help my bothers and sister's Children also to get their Genealogy books put together.
I forward the email to Milo's Cousin, Margaret. She really appreciated the pictures. That makes me feel good. I sent it onto Glen and all he could write about to me was, does my mother have these photo's. Not even a little thank you at all. How rude!!! I emailed him back and suggest that he send a thank you to Jodi for sharing these photo's with his family. Did it ac-cure to him that I didn't have to send these pictures on to him at all or offer send them to his Mother. I could have kept quiet and not have said anything at all and just inter-grated them into my genealogy. Oh WEll!!
I really need to go for right now.
Jennifer Palmer
Changes
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment